My Story:
I was a decent athlete growing up; I played basketball non stop. Running the point and jump shooting were the extent of my offensive game. Dunking was a constant dream for me but I never quite knew how to accomplish that. Biking, running, and lifting were basic parts of my fitness for basketball. Plyometrics were tricks with fire for all I knew.
I tried "Air Alert 1" for a few weeks and had a quick gain of 4-6 inches on my vertical. I could no-step two-hand dirty dunk a basketball barefoot, so I thought it was only a matter of time until I pulled one in a game. I lost motivation though, and sure did love shooting the 3(I mean its worth more right?). I also tore up my ankles pretty badly playing on a bad surface after graduating so my vertical gradually decreased.
In my early 20's I decided it was time to get "Big". I ate huge and lifted hard, went from weighing 185 to 210+ in a year or two. It was fine until whenever I tried to play basketball. Slowwwwww, and it felt awful. I could barely snap the rim anymore.
It was time to lose weight. I got P90x and dropped 30 pounds down to 180. Being quick again felt great on the court. My vertical was getting back to old modest heights until one Saturday morning open gym. I planted on my left foot to elevate in the lane and a defender decided to run into it from the side at full speed. It collapsed and hasn't felt the same since. That was a year ago, I should have gotten it checked out but I've had mostly poor experiences with surgeons and hospitals. I've been starting to feel my age lately- I'm 26-and have been realizing that dream to dunk may never come to fruition.
This is my one last attempt to live that dunking dream.
Measurements:
Height: 6 ft Weight: 183 lbs
Standing Reach: 7'8"
No-Step Vert: 22''
One-Step: 24"
Running: 26"
All jumps are two foot. My one foot is considerably worse.
I thought it'd be worse my left knee and ankle hurt on every jump. I'm also not in very good shape so overall the results are very encouraging. Much room to grow
Goals:
Dunk
Dunk in a game
Be able to pull off multiple dunks not just basic one hand
Workouts:
I'll be doing as many different things as I can. Initially, I will attempt to achieve my goals without buying a specific vertical program. Maybe ironic since I did buy P90x, but that was just for the motivation.
My process will also most likely take longer then others.
Diet:
I'm going to be sticking with what has kept me light. High protein with healthy carbs. If this curtails my gains, I'll switch things up
My main objective for this blog is simply a self journal, I may even make it private if my lack of results are too embarrassing.
No comments:
Post a Comment